Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oliver Button Is a SIssy



In quite a few of my classes in the readings I had to do the book Oliver Button Is a Sissy kept coming up. I decided I had to see what all the fuss was about. Tomie de Paola wrote the book about a boy who didn't like to do stereotypical boy things and instead he liked to dance. He got made fun of for it and got called a sissy. He showed off his dance skills at the talent show and then his classmates thought of him as a star. This book teaches a very important lesson. Never giving up is such an important thing for children to learn and this book gives such a great example. I enjoyed looking at all of the pictures in the book. The facial expressions of everyone portrayed how they felt very well. I feel this story is in so many of my classes and books I read because of the language in the book. I think it would be a really good level for a younger reader. The language was pretty simple so I feel it would be a perfect fit. I really enjoyed how the book ended. It didn't come out and tell you how the feelings of his classmates changed but it showed you. I was so proud of Oliver at the end of the story! Never giving up and believing in yourself are such good virtues for young kids to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment