Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Man Who Walked Between the Towers

I read this book a few times and was blown away. It is an absolutely beatifully written lyrical book with illistrations that truly touched me. Phileppe Petit performed juggling and tightrope walking in a New York City park. One day he looked up at the twin towers and On August 7, 1974, with the help of a few of his friends, he secured a tightrope between the towers, a quarter of a mile high in the sky. When the sun rose in the morning, the young man walked out onto the rope and performed for hours.
This book truly touched me in many ways. Mordicai Gerstein is the author and illustrator of the story and just does an amazing job. His book has many different features that make it unique. It is written in a beautiful lyrical form. I feel that sometimes the author uses some symbolic phrases about being free and believing. On some of the pages there are a few different pictures on the page. I loved how some of the pages folded out into a few pages put together to show how high he was up on the tower. The pictures were drawn so well I actually felt like I was high in the air with Phileppe. I had never heard of this before so I was shocked when I read the book. I can not believe someone would do such a thing. A part in the book that really touched me was a page at the end of the book that simply read, "Now the towers are gone." I read that page over and over. I thought this book was just wonderful and I recommend it to everyone! It's definately one of my new favorites and I can't wait to read more stories by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment