Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Love That Dog


I have never read a book like this ever. I really really enjoyed it. I felt like I could feel the character grow as a person and as a poet as the story went on. It was very captivating and I couldn't put it down. I definately think that it is a book you should read all at once. I like when the author did the repitition of the words such as wag-wag-wagging. This really stuck out to me and it added to the poem. Also when the author chose to write descriptive words in a certian ways such as writing the word thin in a thin way. I also liked the format. I'm not really sure if I quite understand the format or why it was in diary for, maybe to get a sense of time or so you could see Jack grow. The poem I thought really made you imagine and visualize a lot. The whole time I was thinking about what the poems that the boy was reacting to were like. I was so glad at the end they were shared so I could read them. I noticed the boy didn't really say his name ever until around page 60. This was a big step for him and I felt like this was a huge turning point in the story. I definately got the feeling of a rythm when I was reading. Page after page I just felt as if there was a beat that I was reading to. The story was very heartwarming to me. It was this young boy who never believed in himself and he was so very inspired by a dog that he used to have. Then he discovered this poet who truly inspired him and in the end he finally got the confidence he needed. I really liked this poem a lot. Not having read a book like this before, I was definately intrigued by the format and would enjoy reading more poems like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment