Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Blackboard Bear

Blackboard Bear was written and illustrated by Martha Alexander. The story is about a young boy who gets yelled at by his mother, so he has to go to his room and go to bed. When he goes to his room a bear that is drawn on the blackboard comes to life and they go on an adventure together. He realizes on this adventure how much he misses his mother and wants to be back in his room, so in the morning he goes back. I really did not like this story. When the bear and the young boy went on their adventure, the bear did not actually speak, but the boy responded to what the bear was saying. You could tell what the bear said by how the boy responded, but it was very weird to me. I found myself rereading the story to make sure I read it correctly. I really didn't think the story had a very good plot. I didn't really understand why it was a bear that came off a blackboard in the child's room that the story was about. I just found it bizarre that the blackboard bear was a main character in the story. I thought that the book didn't really fit together that well and that it was just a unusual combination of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment