Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Anno's Alphabet


Anno's Alphabet is written an illustrated by Mitsumasa Anno. The story has no words, just pictures to accompany the letters of the alphabet. There was a different letter and picture on each page. I was a little confused about the book. I felt like the pictures and chosen symbol were somewhat centered around wood. All of the letters were made out of wood and at the beginning of the book in the pages before it started, there are a few pictures of different objects made out of wood such as a book and a hatchet in a wood stump. However, not all the pictures were made out of wood. For example, K stood for kangeroo and L stood for lock. I'm just not really quite sure why this is a theme on many of the pages and not on others. On each page there is a black and white border of vines of tree branches and flowers. Again this shows that wood is a theme in the story. I just felt really confused while reading the story and it felt very old fashioned to me for it won awards in the 1970's. This is just not a book I would want to use to work with children on their letters. There was also even a couple pictures I didn't know what they were, so I'm sure it would be challenging for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment