Tuesday, March 31, 2009

So Far From The Bamboo Grove


While I was reading So Far From The Bamboo Grove I found myself painting so many mental images in my head. I thought it was a very detailed book. I found the book to be really sad. It is so hard to believe that this kind of stuff went on in the world. At one point in the book I was picturing myself as one of the Korean soldiers. I can't imagine having enough hate to do the things they did. It reminds me of the soldiers that are fighting for our country today and makes me wonder how they are doing and what kinds of things they have to got through. I was a little confused about the situation that was going on in the story. I would have like more information about why there was so much fighting that to me, seemed so abrupt. I just felt like I needed a little more background to fully understand the situation and what was going on. I loved that the story ended with all of the kids being reunited. The story had such a sad theme to it, it was nice to have a bit of happiness in the last part of the book. Yoko was just so young in the story it is so hard to imagine a child today going through something like this. It makes me feel really lucky and priveledged. I think about how long they had to go without eating and it seems unimaginable. The mental picture that I can't get out of my head is the part of the story where their train gets stopped and they have to hide their identity. I can't imagine how scared they had to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment