Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are


I recently got the chance to revisit one of my favorite childhood books ever, Where the Wild Things Are. I find this book just as good every single time I read it. Maurice Sendak wrote and illustrated the book. The pictures are something I have always really enjoyed about the story. Even though the monsters in the book are supposed to be scary at one point, roaring their terrible roars and gnashing their terrible teeth, I never really find the monsters scary. However I feel this is definately a book that needs to be read with lots of expression. I think if you make your voice scary the monsters will seem scary. Also there are a few pages where the monsters are having a rumpus-dancing and just having fun. I remember when I was little and this book was read to me by my parents we would always act goofy during these pages and pretend we were the monsters ourselves.
This story is all about imagination. The young boy Max is imagining the whole story in his head, yet it seems to real to the reader. The book really does bring out the readers inner child. It is one of the BEST books and everyone should get the chance to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment